Today is another day with, for West Cork, fairly high temperatures (29.7C in shade), and we are so enjoying this lovely warm weather. For the plants this is a different matter. We have water restrictions in place which means of course that we cannot freely water our vegetables and herbs. So far I have only lost one ornamental fir growing in a tub, I guess that the reason is that I am giving most of my gray water to the vegetables and only very little to the ornamental plants.
And so today it became time to give a good update of my soil experiment. Though it is too early yet to make final conclusions, I can see how overall the plants are not growing as lush as I expected, probably due to the drought (since the 8th of May we are without substantial rain, only once did we have a shower, but not enough to really wet the soil thoroughly – only 2.5mm during May, and 8mm during June). The soil looks to be very coarse and dry, pale in colour and hard to put a shovel in. In places the soil has come away from the raised bed frame, a sure sign of dryness.
While both plots had a moisture content figure of over 3 during May – today’s readings were as follows:
PLOT ONE – FIGURES FOR TODAY THE 21ST OF JULY AT TWELVE NOON
MOISTURE CONTENT: DRY the needle stood at 1
LIGHT MEASUREMENT: 2000
TEMPERATURE OF THE SOIL: 21C
PLOT TWO FIGURES
MOISTURE CONTENT: VERY DRY the needle did not reach 1
LIGHT MEASUREMENT: 2000
When I compare the light on both plots with the May figures there are quite a few changes due of course to the normal changing season but also due to the very warm & dry summer. Light in both plots seem to have increased from 1000 to 2000 measured in full sun. PH of soil has gone up a few degrees in both plots and is now 8 which is too alkaline. Moisture of course has gone down from 3 to 1 and even less than 1 in plot two. Soil temperature has increased from 13C in plot two to 19C today, and in plot 1 it has increased from 15C to 21C.
Overall the bean plants did not do so well, they look fairly poorly and did not grow lush, there are, however, some beans ready to be harvested in both plots, and there are more flowers showing.
One of the observations I have made is that the bean plants which I sowed inside early in spring – and then planted out, did not do as well as the beans I sowed straight in the garden at a later date – these plants became very robust and grew fast – they will have a later harvest as they are only at the flowering stage. I will take that into consideration for next years sowing.
In both plots all the spinach plants, which looked very healthy to start with, bolted immediately and I have had no produce from them at all. But in plot 1 where I sowed the radish early I had about 150gr of edible produce. The radish in plot 2 have not matured yet due to a later date of sowing.
As regards weeds, plot 1 has had many, partly probably because of the compost I used from the garden bin where perhaps seeds were not destroyed during the composting stage, for example, I have seen tomato plants starting to grow in between the beans plants. I also made the mistake of accidentally spilling some of my spare heir-loom double poppy seeds among the bean plants, and once I realised and saw the plants I could not bear to pull them up, so right now the bean plants growing side by side with the flowering poppies. Good for attracting insects to pollinate the bean flowers anyway.
Plot 2 has had no weeds growing to speak of, the leaf mould here has done a good job keeping the weeds down. I find that the bean plants here have not taken as well as the ones in plot 1.
Both plots have had some slug damage in the past week, but due again to the drought there has been very little slug activity in the garden.
Some photos of what is going on in the experimental plots, and also in the extra plot where I sowed the bean plants straight into the garden soil, (the ball is there to chase the cats away). I notice from the flower that one of those bean plants is actually a different bean (a runner bean).
I must say also that the moist/light/ph measuring tool I use is a simple one that I bought in a garden centre. I doubt if it is very scientific, and having checked the Internet on moisture of soil measuring tools I fear that I am only playing at this. But on the other hand it does tell me a little of what is going on in my soil and that for the moment is good enough. I do know that my soil is lacking in potassium and in nitrogen and I mean to address that organically – but I have not found out how I should go about it, apart from using banana peels and growing leguminous plants on my soil both of which I am doing.
I think any attempt however small at understand more about our soil is worthwhile, and I love what I am doing right now. I intend to see my soil increase in fertility, and also I intend to get a much better understanding on how it all works together.